Sunday, August 7, 2011

Birthday Week Aug. 1 - 7, 2011

This was a very fun week. We started Monday with Missionary Coordination meeting. Then Christensen Shimai went to get her massage while Christensen Choro had the car washed. We spent the afternoon with the young missionaries while they emailed. Picked up the Yatsushiro Shimai at the bus stop. We had a Family Home Evening at the Church with some investigators and missionaries. Christensen Shimai made her chocolate cake! We had a lesson, played games and ate treats.

Kim Choro and his girls, Miki and Mai. Hope they stay around when he dies next week.

En and Tsutamori Shimai.

Tuesday started early by taking three Shimai to the bus stop at 7 am. They were traveling to Fukuoka to the Mission Shimai Conference. We then prepared for the Temple Prep lesson we were to give that night. We were at the Tsuboi Church at the appointed time, but we had a no show. Called and there had been a communication problem. They thought we were not having a lesson this week. Whoops! We realized that we were home alone for the first time on our mission. The Choro were in Nobeoka doing a baptismal interview and the Shimai were in Fukuoka. Almost a lonely feeling?

Wednesday we studied, made cookies, took them to our gas station attendants, prepared for Eikaiwa, started to get information on the Japanese drivers test, went to Eikaiwa, and picked up the Shimai from the bus stop. The evening ended with a bang. When we noticed fireworks, about twelve of us climbed to the roof of our apartment building to watch.

Thursday we traveled to Sasabo and inspected Jeffery and Iino Choro's apartment. They thought we would be there on Friday, so they were not ready for us. Luckily the traveling APs, Shaner and Icchu Choro were there and pitched in and got it up to standard in no time.

Ecchu, Jeffery, Iino and Shaner Choro. Celestial! Shaner Choro dies next week.

We went on to the Naval Base and got a years pass for the car and bought supplies and food. We ate lunch and saw an Aircraft Carrier in dock.
Then down the coast to Isahaya to inspect native Japanese Hayase and Kanaida Choro's apartment. They had just moved into it on 1 Aug and needed some items, like drapes for their windows. We were not able to communicate enough to help. We left a note for the traveling APs and called them to see if they could help them the next day as they would be visiting them.

Hayase and Kanaida Choro. Celestial!! Communicated enough to go for ice cream.

We then traveled to Nagasaki to the Toyoko Inn. We decided to eat at the same place we had eaten in March when we were there. As we walked along we heard a noise that sound like a BYU football game. We detoured to see what it was. The street was blocked off and there were about 60 men and boys shouting, drumming and raising a platform up, down and around. They were celebrating the Matsuri Mikosi or Festival Ark. This went on for about 2 hours. We gave up after a few minutes, we were too hungry.

Matsuri Mikosi, Festival Ark.
Good food even if we cooked it ourselves

Ainge and Toda Choro. Celestial! Toda dies next week.
Kobayashi and Hattori Shimai. Celestial!!

Friday were inspected both Ainge and Toda Choro's and Kobayashi and Hattori Shimai's apartments in Nagasaki. Both were clean!
We went to the Peace Park and looked at the statues and fountain. They were very pretty.

The Peace Statue. Sorry about the construction, couldn't quite figure a way to shoot around it.

The Fountain of Peace.

More Peace Park.

We talked to a couple and their daughter from England at the park. The man's father is using the church's Family History Web Site to get family history information. He has traced his family back to the 1600s. The lady has been to Utah and is aware of the Church.

Lunch at a grocery store. Always something pretty.

We traveled up the coast and caught the ferry across to Saga. It was a quiet 40 minute ride. We drove the back roads to Kumamoto and enjoyed the scenery.

Using every inch of space.

Narrow roads with overhead tunnels.

Mirrors on turns to help one see oncoming traffic.

Beautiful lilies everywhere.

We arrived at home in time for Sports night, but did not stay long. We went home and unpacked and "died" on the bed. We missed Tobias and Make` and twins who came after we left. Will catch them in next weeks blog.

We traveled to Yatsoshito on Christensen Choro's birthday to inspect their apartment. He thought is was a little funny when the first words out of the Shimai's month were "Happy Birthday." They were very clean, so we bought them supplies and ice cream and traveled the Expressway home.

Forgot to take the camera so we pulled one from the file.

We arrived in time to attend the Stake Single Adults Summer Festival. There was a lot of food, games, talent show, spook alley, and a kimono contest. A fun time was had by all. Christensen Choro wondered why everyone was wishing him Happy Birthday. He had not told anyone.

Yoshikun and Mayumi wishing Christensen Choro Happy Birthday at the YSA Party.

Fun homemade games of the party.

Sauri Stewart, Christensen Shimai and ? will find the name later.
Sauri received her mission call to the California, San Fernando Mission.

Miki, Ito Shimai and Mai showing off Ito Shimai's makeover.

Kimono contest. Notice the mother holding her daughter. They start early.

We left the party about 7:45 and went home to relax. About 8:30 a knock came at the door and twenty people came in for a surprise birthday party and watermelon. Christensen Shimai outfoxed Christensen Choro again. Fun Party!

First one in the door for the surprise party.

They just kept coming. We think they followed the watermelon. It was the size of a basketball and cost about $20.00.

Sunday we attended the Tsubio Ward in the morning and the Nagamini Ward in the afternoon. Christensen Shimai was asked to teach the fourth Sunday lesson again this month. We met Tobias's wife, Make and two boys that arrived from Tonga on Wednesday.

Look in the August Ensign on page 21, the article is "No Better time to Serve," and is about Doug and Carolyn Thurman from our home ward in Annabella and the blessings they recieved for serving a mission. Their example is one of the reasons we are serving now rather than waiting a while. We have received so many blessings since talking to their son while we were waiting to renew our Temple recommends last August and then making the appointment with Bishop Bishoff to start our Mission papers. No matter how hard we try we can not give enough or work hard enough to catch up with the blessings the Lord has given us.

We love you, Thanks for the emails, cards and calls. Thank you Bear Cub Scouts and Leaders for the letter! You lifted our spirits tremendously!! Bess misses you so much!!!

Dad and Mom
Grandpa and Grandma
Tom and Bess
Elder and Sister Christensen

So glad to hear of the mission calls. SiSi's marriage, Jill and Baby and Ryan Bennett's return to good health.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Brother & Sister Christensen for letting us view & read your blog. You are wonderful missionaries and we appreciate so much what you have done to help our son on his mission to Japan and help all the other missionaries. It is a comfort to know you're there to watch over them.
    Your blog is amazing and a sweet spirit is felt.
    You are radiant in your love of the gospel, for those you teach and for the young missionaries.
    They are blessed to have you in Japan.
    Thanks for sharing your mission experience.
    We look forward to meeting you when you return home to Annabella!
    Julie & Darrin Jeffery & kids